Invisalign Braces in Kingsport
When people think of braces, they immediately think of having a mouthful of metal. While many people do get the traditional metal braces, there is now a popular alternative: Invisalign® braces.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign braces work by applying carefully controlled forces to teeth to move them into a better position, just like traditional braces. But they are not made of metal; instead, they are made of nearly invisible polyurethane plastic. While traditional metal braces are cemented directly to the teeth, Invisalign braces are completely removable. Computer software is used to create a plan for correcting the alignment of your teeth. The movements are broken down into several stages and for each of these the Invisalign company creates two plastic mouth trays. One fits over the top teeth and the second for the bottom teeth. These must be worn for two weeks for at least 20 hours a day. Once this step is complete the next stage begins with a new set of aligners. This continues until your teeth are aligned properly.
Invisalign has continued to find new features to improve their efficiency. One improvement are the new “eruption tabs” which hold an appropriate amount of space for molars that have not fully grown. Another improvement are the “compliance indicators” which fade when worn. This allows the wearer, dentist, and parents to track the amount of time the trays are worn and make sure they reach the minimum goal.
Here are more advantages to Invisalign braces:
- Improved Oral Hygiene – Metal braces can be difficult to brush and floss around. With Invisalign, simply remove your braces and brush and floss as usual.
- Discreet Look – Some consider orthodontic treatment a private matter, and others simply don’t like the image of metal braces. Invisalign braces are almost invisible, creating a more subtle appearance.
- More Dietary Choices – Traditional braces require certain dietary restrictions to protect the metal wires and braces. Invisalign allows you to keep eating whatever you like.
- Comfort – The flexible material is thin and smooth, so as to not irritate the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection – Invisalign can protect your teeth from night time grinding or teeth clenching habits and help prevent excessive wear.
Caring for Your Teeth During Invisalign Treatment
As stated, the Invisalign system utilizes removable trays. It is important to keep your teeth and trays cleaned. By removing the Invisalign trays, you can easily brush and floss your teeth after all meals and snacks to prevent food and plaque getting trapped in your teeth and in the aligners. Anything that gets trapped in the trays could lead to tooth decay and gum disease. It is also important to brush and rinse your trays in lukewarm water.
While Invisalign trays are different from braces, the post-treatment results will be the same. Make sure to wear your retainer(s) as prescribed and continue your brushing and flossing habits to protect your new smile.
Learn more about Guest, Guest & Guest at our Meet Dr. Guest page. For even more information on Invisalign Braces in the Kingsport, TN area call Guest, Guest & Guest at (423) 247-2151 or send us a message today!